The UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Draw Review
UEFA Champions League Updates with Nigerian Entertainment
- Chelsea will be looking to win the champions league to qualify for next season, but this isn`t the kind of draw they would have hoped for so early in the knock-out stages, Chelsea face PSG a side they have played in the knock-out stages of the last two seasons with both ties decided on away goals. The blues won in the 13/14 season while PSG revenged earlier this year. Considering what 10 men PSG did to Chelsea at the bridge last season when Chelsea were even a lot better than this, i see only one winner here over 180 minutes, but who knows? 2 months in football is a long time.
- Arsenal have not gone past this stage in a while now, in the last 5 seasons they`ve lost to Barcelona, Milan, Bayern twice and Monaco just last season. Barcelona is actually more of a nemesis to them in this tournament, beating the gunners in 2010(Quaterfinals), 2011(this stage) and in the 2006 final. The fear of MSN is the beginning of Wisdom but Arsenal fans can believe in Wenger who said a fully fit Arsenal side can beat anyone in Europe, I hope all Arsenal players are fit for this one.
- Roma and Real Madrid would be another mouth watering encounter, both sides have met 8 times since the 01/02 season with Roma eliminating Real at this stage of the 07/08 season.
- Bayern Munich will be facing last year`s finalists in Juventus who have not been as good as last season due to players exodus but will still pose a lot of threat, Bayern beat them enroute the 2013 champions league triumph.
- Atletico defeated PSV twice in the group stages of the 08/09 season, they will fancy their chances again.
- Man. city to me have a lucky draw but let`s not forget that the last time the two sides met in 2011, though it was in the Europa League, Dynamo won 2-1 on aggregate.
- Zenit defeated Benfica twice last season in the group stage while Benfica Ousted them at this stage of the tournament in 11/12.
- Gent and Wolfsburg are the only sides that have never met before in this tournament. I will fancy Wolfsburg to go through though as they are playing really well and have more experienced players in Europe.
The Draw in Full:
16 February & 9 March
Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea
Benfica v Zenit
17 February & 8 March
Gent v Wolfsburg
Roma v Real Madrid
23 February & 16 March
Arsenal v Barcelona
Juventus v Bayern München
24 February & 15 March
PSV Eindhoven v Atlético Madrid
Dynamo Kyiv v Manchester City